I collect a lot of travel photos. In fact, I've taken over 60,000 photos in the final 3 years! I have a solid system for backing up my travel photos already, and I wanted to expand on how useful Amazon Prime Photos can exist for you!

Amazon Prime Photos is available on your existing Amazon Prime membership. It provides web, desktop and mobile admission to all of your photos. With your Prime membership, you get unlimited photo storage and 5GB of video storage. If you don't have Amazon Prime, sign upwards for free.

Get your free thirty day trial of Amazon Prime

When you subscribe to Amazon Prime number, you lot'll get Prime Photos automatically. With Prime Photos, you'll be able to kick-showtime your photograph backup organization!

Try Amazon Prime

How does Amazon Prime Photos piece of work?

At that place are three main plans that y'all tin choose from.

  1. Costless with Prime number. Similar I mentioned above, you'll be able to store all of your photos, for gratuitous!

  2. 100GB of storage for $i.99/month. This wouldn't work for me. My photograph catalog is pushing a few TB and I would fill up up 100GB in a weekend.

  3. 1TB of storage for $half dozen.99/month. I would consider this as an option if I didn't already have a 1TB-Dropbox plan. This will be good for most people, as you can store a good number of photos with this plan.

When yous subscribe to Prime number photos (through Amazon Prime), you're able to access your files through a mobile app, a web app and a desktop app. Aside from being able to support your photos, you can too use Amazon Photos to search for common things inside your photos like food, dogs or trees. It tin can recognize people, as well!

Amazon Prime Photos snow photo search

Backing up your photos with Amazon Prime Photos

Aside from the storage plans, let's go a fiddling deeper on how yous can use Amazon Prime photos today. But showtime, let'south briefly talk about backing upwardly your photos in general. Photo backups are an important part of your workflow if you want to proceed your photos safe. I (and most of the net) will recommend bankroll up your photos in at to the lowest degree two boosted places.

Information technology'south a good thought to have a re-create of your photograph library on your local hard drive, to take a backup on an external difficult drive and to accept a backup somewhere in the cloud.

At present that we've covered backing up your photos, let's review how to back up your photos using Amazon Prime number Photos.

Amazon Photos Web app

From the spider web customer, you lot tin get to Add together > Upload Photos in the top navigation bar.

From there, you'll find your Amazon Drive folders where you can add your photos. Personally, I similar to categorize all of my photos by yr.

Amazon Prime Photos web app

Amazon Photos Desktop app

Every bit an alternative to the spider web client, y'all tin can use the desktop app as well. I do all of my photograph work on a Mac, so I tin can speak to the Mac app.

An older version of this app wasn't very good and limited uploads to iv at a time. Uploading RAW files took forever (it nearly took a month when I get-go started uploading!) because it could but process four large files at once. The updated app is decent and at present supports eight concurrent uploads!

Later a shoot, I'll queue upward an upload. I find that keeping my uploads small-scale, it'due south manageable for the app to handle.

You can prepare upwardly the app to schedule backups or exercise a one-time fill-in. I adopt doing a one-fourth dimension fill-in considering I constantly move files around, as my local hard drive fills up quickly.

Amazon Photos Mobile app

While the mobile app exists on iPhone and Android, I don't utilize it. I apply Amazon Prime Photos as a fill-in and non as a place to view my photos.

Benefits of using Amazon Photos

I've had a difficult bulldoze fail before and I'm glad that I had my photograph files backed upwards. Without that backup, I would have lost a few years' worth of work. When you utilise Prime Photos, you can ensure that your photos are safe! Every bit an added benefit, you're able to browse photos on your telephone and estimator and share with friends and family. You're as well able to society prints.

I tin can see a utilise instance where you take a few family photos and you want to share them at a family gathering. You can open the binder where you have the files and pass your telephone to whoever wants to encounter the photos!

In addition to the features of the platform, it'due south free! Well, kind of. If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, you get Amazon Prime number Photos for free. At that place'south no additional price to you. You can upgrade your program if you want to increase your video storage.

In one case per year, Amazon has Amazon Prime number Day which has some of the best deals all year around. Cheque our our guide where we handpick some of our favorite Amazon Prime Day deals for travelers.

Limitations of using Amazon Photos

When new image formats come out, sometimes Amazon doesn't recognize them as "images." Because of this, it eats away at your low 5GB-storage cap of other files. I had this happen to me when I was testing a new camera that had a brand new RAW file type.

This isn't an outcome for nearly people and y'all can see the supported image formats to confirm that your images are supported. If they aren't supported, y'all can convert those unsupported RAW files to DNG files.

I've found the uploader to be buggy at times, and I found that the upload speeds aren't every bit expert with some other epitome backup services. Amazon is always improving its software, then this might non be the case for much longer.

Tin can you print photos with Amazon Prime Photos?

Yes! In fact, Amazon makes it easy to impress your photos. They have a large selection of different products, like canvas prints, metal prints, photo books, calendars and and then much more. Amazon Prime members become free shipping.

Print your photos!

How to go Amazon Prime number Photos

If y'all don't have Amazon Prime, and so sign up! Amazon Prime has a lot of skillful benefits like fast shipping for products and access to other video and music services.

If you already have Amazon Prime, then you're good to go. Visit the sign in page to start uploading. If you don't want Amazon Prime, y'all can however sign up for Amazon Photos based on the price points in a higher place.


I hope you were able to learn something about photo backups and more information about ane of the many excellent resources out there for keeping your photos condom.

Share this article

If you enjoyed this article, give information technology a share!

Concluding updated on February 17th, 2022